No products in the cart.
FedEx is a popular shipping carrier that offers timely and dependable shipping services all over the world. When you are shipping with FedEx, you need to offer certain tracking options using which the customers can keep track of the shipments easily. There might be several reasons that cause a delay in delivering the packages, like customs clearance or lost or stolen packages, etc. In this guide, we will help you to easily track FedEx packages in real-time.
How to Track FedEx Package
FedEx offers flexible and responsive tracking options for both domestic and international shipments. Whether you want to track the package on your phone, tablet, or directly on your store or a laptop or a desktop, you can do it easily using the FedEx tracking systems.
1.FedEx Tracking number
Every package sent via FedEx has a tracking number. The tracking number is a unique code in which all the shipment details are encrypted.
FedEx assigns a 12-digit number, but there are also tracking numbers with 10-digit, 15-digit, 20-digit, and 22-digit numbers. Mostly, FedEx tracking numbers contain no letters. Here is an example of a 12-digit FedEx tracking number.
- 123 456 789 012
This tracking number is mostly printed on the shipping label. This label is sent to the customers via email or to the number provided when you are shipping at one of the FedEx locations.
2. FedEx Website
You can easily track FedEx packages’ status on the FedEx website using your laptop or mobile device. You can open the FedEx page on your laptop or tab and track packages by providing the details on the page. You can also manage the shipment tracking from a mobile device from the FedEx website.
You get the tracking details like whether the items are despatched, or in transit, or if they delivered it to the customer, etc. This can be done by navigating to the FedEx tracking page and entering the necessary details like the tracking number.
3. FedEx Mobile App
You can easily download the FedEx mobile app to fetch the details of your package. But, you need to download the app and install it on your device. With the app, you can see the package data of any shipping label created from the account or the ones added to the FedEx Advanced tracking. The following are the services that can be tracked using the FedEx Mobile app:
- FedEx Custom Critical
- FedEx Express
- FedEx Freight
- FedEx Ground
4. FedEx Phone number
If you are not around your computer and want to fetch quick data about your package, you just need to dial into the FedEx office. Simply call 1.800.464.3339 and say “track a package” to track the status of your shipment.
5. Store Dashboard
If you are using FedEx shipping for your WooCommerce store, you can simply provide all the necessary details about the package sent from your store using a simple shipping plugin ELEX EasyPost (FedEx, UPS, Canada Post & USPS) Shipping & Label Printing Plugin for WooCommerce. The plugin once integrated into the system can help you generate shipping labels for your order right from the store backend.
You can also obtain tracking details from the order details page, which can be emailed to the customers using the EasyPost Auto-generate and Email labels Add-On. Using the add-on, you can mail the shipping labels and the tracking details to your customers. Clicking on the link, the customers can fetch the real-time data of the FedEx package.
6. Using a Shipping Calculator
If you are skeptical about which shipping carrier to use, you can simply compare the shipping charges using the ELEX shipping calculator. The best part of the shipping calculator is that you can even generate shipping labels and the tracking details from the shipping calculator once the order is placed via the plugin.
The link for the shipping label and the tracking details can be sent to the customer’s email address.
Can you track a package without a FedEx tracking number?
What if your tracking number is lost or not available? How are you going to track the FedEx package without a tracking number?
Although FedEx has a definite and unique tracking number generated for each shipment, it allows customers to change the tracking number into something more useful, the way you want it. You can either use the order number, the account number, or any other references you want to assign to the order to track the order status from FedEx.
You can also make use of FedEx Insight which helps to track high to moderate volume shipments without a tracking number. This is quite helpful when you have to manage shipments across multiple locations and accounts.
With the FedEx tracking number, you can find the exact position of your package in transit. Larger shipments can provide the reference numbers and order numbers to track the packages or even freight shipments. For government orders, you can track the details using the Transportation Control Room (TCR).
How to manage FedEx Tracking for International Shipments?
FedEx tracking for international shipping is the same as for domestic shipping, you won’t need any special tracking code or any page. The only thing you need is an accurate tracking number. You can find the FedEx tracking number on the FedEx International Air Waybill. You can use the 12-digit tracking number and enter it for tracking on the FedEx page or app. You will get all the necessary information required. Moreover, you can even sign up for the delivery exception and notifications.
Which FedEx Services Offer Tracking?
FedEx tracking service is available for all FedEx services. Here are a few of them.
- FedEx Express
- FedEx Ground
- FedEx Home Delivery
- FedEx Freight
- FedEx SmartPost
- FedEx Custom Critical
- FedEx Trade Networks
Understanding FedEx Online Tracking Statuses
FedEx online statuses are real-time updates that pop up on the shipment history page’s tracking column. Here are the different FedEx statuses:
- Delivered: This shows up when your package has been delivered and is ready for collection at the designated address.
- Delivery exception: A package has experienced a delivery crisis because of unforeseen events, wrong address, customer not being available to pick up the package, or business closure.
- New: This status means shipment information for the package has been sent to FedEx, and the order has been picked up.
- In transit: A package is at a local FedEx facility or has left the FedEx origin facility and will be delivered on the originally scheduled delivery date and time.
- On FedEx vehicle for delivery: This status means that the package has already been dispatched to a FedEx driver and will be delivered to the recipient.
- Clearance delay: This is mainly meant for international orders experiencing customs clearance delays.
How Long Does It Take for FedEx to Update Tracking?
Most of the time, packages are tracked and scanned information is updated in real-time at every step of the transit. At times it may take up to 24 hours to get the update on the order after the label generation is done.
What Happens When FedEx Tracking isn’t Updating?
Mostly you need to wait for 24hours to update your tracking information. Sometimes there may be delays in your package being picked up or it might be picked up, but the driver is yet to scan the package. You can always reach out to FedEx customer care to fetch information about your packages.
What Happens if My Package Doesn’t Arrive?
So what if your package did not arrive due to unforeseen reasons or unavoidable circumstances? If your package did not arrive and you have not received any updates about your package, you must take the necessary steps to report the issue to the courier within 24 hours. Here is what you should do when your package doesn’t arrive.
- Wait for 24 hours after the given delivery date
- If your package is found, then FedEx will reroute the package to your address and notify the shipper once delivery is done.
- If the package you have been tracking with FedEx SmartPost, FedEx ground, or any other FedEx service goes missing, then FedEx will send a letter through fax, email, or by post to the shipper for a damage/loss claim.
- You will then be asked to forward documents that FedEx will use to determine the value of your shipment, including purchase order, invoice, or proof of mailing.
- If the insurance claim falls within the carrier’s guidelines and terms of service, FedEx will pay you for the loss claim, either by replacement or refunding you the purchase cost; otherwise, FedEx will contact you to let you know their stand on the issue.
- If your package is delivered to the wrong address or to your neighbor’s place, then you will find a note or any update regarding the delivery on your FedEx delivery notification.
- Your package can be misdelivered due to wrong addresses also. In that case, you can either double-check the address provided for delivery or use an efficient address verification plugin on your store, which will curb the issue with a wrong entry of addresses.
- If your package is stuck in transit because of any wrong information, you need to ensure that your customs clearance process is intact.
Use the right mechanism to easily track your FedEx packages
With the right shipping processes in line, you need not worry about the packages in transit. Making use of the right shipping insurance and the perfect FedEx service which offers accurate tracking options to deliver your packages with no hassle is important. On your WooCommerce store, including a plugin that will help you automate the processes and ultimately keep your customers informed about the package delivery without fail, makes your job easy, and improves customer satisfaction.
- Easily Enable WooCommerce Shipment Tracking using WooCommerce FedEx Shipping Plugin.
- FedEx Ground vs. UPS Ground
- FedEx PO Box Shipping: What You Need to Know
- 5 Best WooCommerce Shipping Plugins for Realtime Rates, Labels, Tracking & Estimated Delivery Date
- Does FedEx Deliver on Sundays in 2020? Everything You Need to Know
- An Ultimate Guide on WooCommerce FedEx Shipping