No products in the cart.
Do you want to send something to India? Shipping anything to any country is not the same process always, as each country differs in the way they deal with a shipment. Shipping something from one country to another may seem a little expensive, as it is not as easy as electronically transferring money. Luckily we can find some shipping carriers who do offer you cheap methods to ship to India. Go through this article to find the cheapest way to ship to India.
Tips for the Cheapest Way to Ship to India
Before we go about choosing how to find the cheapest way to ship to India, we better take a look at some tips that can be handy.
- Try Out Multiple Couriers
Always look for multiple options to ship. Look for reliable services from varied shipping services instead of sticking on to one single service. In that way, you get the one that fits your needs and your budget.
- Determine the Needs of Your Customers
It is important to determine what your customers are expecting. Are they cost-conscious? Do they need the package delivered urgently? Depending on the need of your customers you can choose the best shipping service to ship to India.
- Maximize Packaging
It is always important to pack the items snuggly so that you do not waste space while packing. Also, make sure you don’t use unnecessary packing materials that could increase the weight or size.
- Properly Plan Deliveries
To save money on the deliveries, align the delivery schedule with the cheaper options. For example, to go for a lower-cost option, you can choose ocean freight as it saves a lot compared to air.
- Reuse Packaging supplies
You can always reuse the items used for packaging be it shipping to India or elsewhere. You can always reuse the bubble wrap that you use for one shipping for another. Or else you need to depend on several other options wherein you can avail free or cheaper packaging options.
Information while you Ship to India
Here is some important information to keep in mind while shipping to India from anywhere.
- If you are looking for top services that are shipping to India, a few of them include Hong Kong Post – AirMailTracking, DHL – Express Worldwide and TNT – Express.
- Make sure you pack the items very well. Read through our packaging guidelines.
- The common payment options available are cash on delivery, Bank transfer, etc.
- Most of the merchants do offer free shipping, or with a minimal charge on shipping.
- You also get Saturday and Sunday deliveries if your expected delivery date falls on it.
- Public holidays are non-working days.
- Remember the tax calculation is done using the CIF method.
- The major documents included in the package are the Commercial Invoice, Battery Statement and Shipping documents, and tax-related documents.
For more information on shipping to India, you can always refer to the guidelines mentioned in shipping guidelines by the Government of India, and The Central Board of Indirect Tax & Customs.
How to Calculate the cost of shipping to India?
The cost of shipping to India completely depends on the shipment’s weight and dimensions, the origin and destination as well as the shipping service you choose to ship the item. Popular shipping carriers like USPS, UPS, DHL and FedEx do offer delivery services to India. If you are looking for the right shipping options and the charges it will incur for shipping from one location to another, then you can make use of the shipping calculator. It helps to find and compare the shipping rates and derive at one rate which is economical and efficient.
What are the charges for shipping a Gift from Canada to India?
When you are shipping gifts to India you will incur duties and taxes. There will be a customs duty total of 77.28% which includes 10% Social Welfare Surcharge (SWS) + 35% Basic Customs Duty (BCD) + 28% Integrated Goods and Service Tax (IGST).
Before you start, remember that,
- Gifts can include drugs or medical equipment, which will not be charged any duty.
- Gifts can be accepted by an individual, corporate bodies, societies or even by institutions like schools and colleges, but are intended for personal use.
- Remember you cannot send restricted or prohibited goods as gifts.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when you are shipping a gift.
- A commercial invoice must be accompanied by the gift.
- The terms “Unsolicited Gift” or “Gift Shipment” must be included in the commercial invoice.
- Make sure you are listing the items in the package clearly with their value.
- If you are sending more than one gift, then wrap each one and tag each of them separately.
What are the charges for importing to India?
Basically, if you are importing any used items, there are no charges or any additional import taxes. Even for defective items that are sent to India for repair, no import duty is required. India also gives a pass to some shipments that are meant for filmmaking, theatrical productions or for mountain expeditions. You can also send engineering prototypes and even commercial samples without paying any duty.
If you are sending used personal effects to India, then you need special customs clearance.
Customs Information While Shipping to India
Importing to India from anywhere requires you to adhere to the country’s import rules and regulations by the Central Board of Excise and Customs. In India, the customs formalities are quite strict and hence can expect some in-depth checks for your packages. To reduce any kind of delay at customs while shipping, it is ideal to follow the rules mentioned by the authorities in India. It is important to ensure you complete the customs declaration forms, providing the accurate value of the items being shipped, and even detailing the contents of the shipment.
What cannot be shipped to India?
Here are some items, which are restricted in India:
- Cultural Heritage Goods
- Endangered Animals
- Objectionable Publications
- Radio Transmitters
USPS Shipping to India
USPS does allow shipping to India at a reasonable rate. The following are some of the services you can make use of for shipping to India via USPS.
- USPS Priority Mail International,
- USPS Priority Mail Express
If you are looking to incorporate these USPS services into your WooCommerce store, you can make use of one of these plugins, which make the process easy.
- ELEX WooCommerce USPS Shipping Plugin with Shipment Tracking & Print Label
- ELEX Stamps.com Shipping Plugin with USPS Postage for WooCommerce
- ELEX EasyPost (FedEx, UPS, Canada Post & USPS) Shipping & Label Printing Plugin for WooCommerce
Here you can choose the required service and then show live shipping rates on the checkout page.
UPS Shipping to India
UPS shipping allows you to ship to India from locations like the US. You can make use of the UPS Worldwide Expedited service. The expected delivery date is within 2-5 business days.
How to Prepare Your Shipping Box
The very first thing you do when you are shipping is preparing the box for shipping. You can’t just place it as such in a box and stick a label and send it across. There are several guidelines for packing an item for shipping. Here are some tips to prepare your box correctly for shipping to India.
- Always double-ply your boxes when you are packing things to ship.
- If you are packing something fragile, ensure you are marking it correctly.
- Ensure that you get an estimate about the shipment rates.
- Some shipments cannot be delivered to the destination directly, so you can even opt for the center close to the destination.
- Find out more about door-to-door, port-port, door-to-port, or port-to-door shipping is necessary.
- Get the best quotes for your shipping.
- Make sure you pack it well and check the weight of the package.
Get the best feasible shipping options to ship to India by making use of multiple shipping services in your store. Do work on the various methods wherein you can reduce the shipping cost invariably.